"Do you hear the Echo of that Train?  When the clouds become low like a ceiling in the sky and you can hear your Echo or the Echo of the Train, snow is not far behind", is what my Grandmother use to say. Am looking forward to saying the same to my Grandchildren ... and playing 'Echo' with them and others, before and after the Snow falls.

I love snow, it brings back fond memories... and can be made into an fun adventure if one has the mindset for it; "Camping out Indoors." for one. If it gets too cold in the House due to power outages, seek to solve the problem and bring out the child in everyone by suggesting everyone helps you push back the Furniture so you all can put up a Tent. If they are not interested in this... ask them for a better idea. If you don't have access to a Tent, make one out of things around the house.... be ingenious.

As I look outside and appreciate the Beauty of our little corner of Paradise covered with snow my mind begins to think about all of the great fun to be had. Seeing Animal Tracks in the

Snow reminds me of how my children did not have the advantages of growing up in the Country. Such really makes me look forward to the times when they can, through our experiences together with their Children whenever they visit here with us. When they are old enough and I can introduce them to Nature from my perspective I want to show my Grandchildren details like Animal Tracks. One of the games I look forward to playing with them is... 'Lets see who can find and identify the most animal Tracks.' and when we have exhausted our search, I hope to hold their interest by making Tracks with them... preferably in the Snow, but carving a track in a Potato to make a stamp out of them may be an creative alternative over a cup of warm Hot Chocolate.

Preparing for the coming  Snow Storms reminds me of how my children did not have the advantages of growing up in the Country. Such really makes me look forward to the times when they can, through our experiences together with their Children whenever they visit here with us. When they are old enough and I can introduce them to Nature from my perspective I want to show my Grandchildren details like Animal Tracks. One of the games I look forward to playing with them is... 'Lets see who can find and identify the most animal Tracks.' and when we have exhausted our search, I hope to hold their interest by making Tracks with them... preferably in the Snow. Here's a resource and a Quick Game: Animal Tracks Quiz for Beginners for those interested in doing the same someday.

I am surprised when I hear of people being bored on Snow Days. There are lots of ways to play in the Snow if one is dressed for the Weather ... using things like Plastic Bats for Baseball, Old Golf Clubs or Croquet Mallets used to see who can roll the largest Snow Ball, Plastic Bowling Pins to be knocked over with a Snow Ball, playing with an old pair of Snow Shoes, old Skis and Ski Poles, playing games like Tug of War, Toss the Hat on the Snowman, a Scavenger Hunt of Finding things sticking up out of the snow and the like.

Here are 2 links: 20 Games to Play in the Snow from Parents.com and Fun in the Snow from a Winter Resource Center. Another link which might be worth considering is: I loved Playing in the Snow when I was Young.

One of the many things I enjoy about Snow is Snow Recipes. Here are two... if anyone has anymore, I'd be interested in reading them, feel free to post them as a Comment for our Readers too:

Snow Ice Cream:
  • 1 gallon of snow
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups milk
When it starts to snow, place a large, clean container (you can use an insert from a Ice Cream Maker too), outside to collect the flakes. When full, stir in sugar and vanilla to taste, then stir in just enough milk of choice (to include evaporated milk) for the desired consistency. Serve at once.

Snow Cones: add Snow Cone Flavoring to freshly collected Snow, which you have put into paper Snow Cones... or make your own Snow Cones

Enjoy!
This entry was posted on 12:12 AM and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: