When I was an Inn Keeper and Chef at Listening Heart Farm Bed and Breakfast... and Guests asked me to bake them something special; 'Death by Chocolate' was usually in their descriptions of what they wanted. Below is a Recipe given to me by my long time friend Randue back in the 1980's that always fit the bill. I am posting it at the request of a newer friend, Gordon. He says when he's depressed he uses Chocolate as a pick me up ... Gordon is battling with Prostate Cancer... and wants to thank anyone in advance who would say a prayer in his behalf.  If you would include Urba, Walter, Barb, Sherry and Laurie ... all those in such a battle, I know they are hoping to be cancer survivors too! Father we ask and thank You for the gift of a Miracle according to Your Will and Timing.



Randues' Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
  • 1 Box Pillsbury Plus Devils Food Cake
  • 8 Ounce Cream Cheese
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla
  • 12 Ounce Bag Chocolate Chips

Mix Cake according to directions on box. Blend the rest of the ingredients together.  Fold in Cream Cheese Mixture. Bake 30-40 Minutes til top firm.  Cool on a cooling rack before Frosting.

Randues' Mississippi Mud Frosting
  • 2 Packages Dream Whip
  • 1 1/2 Cup Milk 
  • 1 Pack Fudge Instant Pudding 
Mix together well.

Option: 1 cup of chopped Walnuts can be added to cake or frosting or both.

ADDED TREAT: Here is an excerpt of a Blog with another Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe, that one is made from Scratch, just discovered it while looking for an Image to post. If anyone tries it or has other's to recommend, do leave a comment.

A Muddy Cake Story.

Today, July 13th

I discovered that today is the anniversary in 1832 of the source of the Mississippi River, for which we must all be very grateful, as otherwise we might not have Mississippi Mud Cake. Thank you Mr. Henry Rowe Schoolcraft.

Recipes are never actually invented, they evolve over time. The Mud Cake is a fairly new species which seems to have sprung off the American parental tree in the early 1970’s, along with its cousin, The Mud Pie. Its ancestors are the Brownie (a mud cake is a more sensible sized brownie, that is all) and Fudge, but there must be a few rogue genes in there too, as the early 1970’s recipes for Mud Cake also contain marshmallow.

This particular type of Mud Cake either never migrated to region Australia, or when it did, the marshmallow was removed, for all of the Aussie Mud Cakes I have met are entirely marshmallow-free (which makes them purer and better, to my mind, but you may disagree.

Every family has its black sheep, and at some time after the birth of the Mud Cake there sprang up something called Dirt Cake. I have never come across a live specimen, but in the interests of culinary history, sought out a recipe for you. It has an ingredient called ‘chocolate pudding mix’ in it, as well as broken up commercial biscuits (Oreos, which I believe are quite revered in their homeland), and I confess I could go no further. I am not sure what ‘chocolate pudding mix’ is, but I am pretty sure I wouldn’t like it, and I am very sure it has no place in a cake. Call me a purist. Call me a snob. Just don’t call me to the table and make me eat chocolate pudding made from a mix.

I would, however, be more than willing to sample this recipe....."

For the Recipe please check out this link worth mentioning The Old Foodie 

Enjoy ... Happy Baking!

UPDATE: Since creating this Blog I have been asked to post my Favorite No Bake Cookie Recipe by a Friend who tasted it while visiting our home. Plan to do so in about 3-4 blogs from now... as to do so sooner will interrupt the flow of its spiritual continuity. Thanks for your patience my Friend......
This entry was posted on 7:50 PM and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

On 5:16 PM , Kitty Deschanel said...

Well, I hope you're happy with yourself. I was being good today. I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a smoothie with flax seed for lunch. My snack was a banana.
Now, I visit your site and what do I see? The most delicious looking chocolate cake EVER! Now I'm sitting here thinking that death by chocolate sounds like a fine way to go.
I seriously need some chocolate :)

http://lambaround.blogspot.com

 
On 6:30 PM , Unknown said...

Very happy, don't want to die alone!

No seriously,like I told you at your blog www.Lambaround.blogspot.com I enjoy your humor.

Thanks for reading and for your comment... Comments encourages me to keep on posting, as some followers don't read, they just follow as a part of Social Networking with the hopes of getting their Blog out there for others to find. I don't mind... (as a writer, I don't have the time to read every Blog I'd like to follow regularly myself, I am happy to let others know about them). Did you post your Link at the Section on the left Add Link Here ,... created that for those who do not have the time to read but want to get their Links out there for others to find.